Sunday, April 7, 2013

Week 11 Reflection - Writing

Second language writing acquisition through the use of technology is probably my favorite form of CALL and the form that I can envision using the most easily in a classroom. Elola and Oskoz described the benefits of using blogs as a form of free expression that promotes creativity over the acquisition of perfect grammar, which is what I feel my students currently need the most (although there needs to be a definite balance). One thing I struggle with with my own students this semester is that most of them don't like reading and writing, even in their native language. It's laborious and boring to them because they have not been brought up in a culture that values the art of writing and the joy of reading. Add to this a focus on grammar and accuracy and their interest wanes even further. So an introduction to creative, free writing through the form of a blog might be an avenue to increasing student interest in and enjoyment of writing. One thing I wish that I'd had time to try in my reading and writing classes is a blog as a weekly "check in" of sorts for the students, where they could write about anything they wanted and did not have to worry about perfect grammar and accuracy. I think the fact that the world could read their work would increase the students' motivation to put something decent up, but the anonymity of it would also allow them a freer and more open voice. As a person who has kept a variety of personal blogs throughout the years, I've also grown to value their documentative nature. A lot of reflection and inspiration can come from looking back at entries from 5 years ago and seeing how much has changed in my life. I imagine it would be impressive for students to look back at the blogs they kept while attending the PIE and see how far they've come with their language ability and cultural adaptability.   

No comments:

Post a Comment